Tuesday, October 16, 2012

First Impressions: Charlotte

-->
Charlotte and her first Argo Float

My name is Charlotte and I am a PhD student in Hamburg in Germany.  Back at home, I am working on understanding the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (AMOC), the mechanism responsible for carrying warm waters from the equator to higher latitudes. Despite its importance for the climate, measuring the AMOC is very difficult and the RAPID array (where we are headed) provides the very first continuous measurements. So I was very excited at the prospect of experiencing the data-collecting first-hand.

Unlike everyone else, I didn’t get to sleep in my own bed the last nights before the cruise, but at least that meant that I also didn’t spend the last days agonizing about things that I might have forgotten to pack. Once I had waved rainy Hamburg goodbye from the airplane, I knew that I better have all important documents with me – or there was nothing to be done about it.

As I hardly knew any of my fellow scientists before, I was a bit nervous when I arrived in Southampton, but everyone turned out to be really nice! The ship itself was also a pleasant surprise (larger than I thought it would be!), as was the weather, which was considerably better than in Hamburg.

This is my first time being on a ship for more than one night, and it has been quite an experience so far. Thankfully, the seasickness left me after a few days on board, so that I could really start to enjoy the journey.  There are a lot of unexpected delights: The food is very good (and I do not have to cook myself), we have seen dolphins more than one time, and there is no better place to watch sunsets or the stars than on a ship in the middle of nowhere!  

Dolphins off Discovery's bow
 So far, we have deployed a drifter and an ARGO float, and mooring operations are underway since yesterday, which is also pretty exciting! I am really looking forward to the next weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment